Study of the U.S. Institutes (SUSI) for Student Leaders from Europe
are intensive academic programmes of five weeks in the USA which are entirely financed by scholarships from the State Department of the United States of America.
These scholarships are designed to enable young Portuguese deepen their knowledge of the USA while at the same time develop different academic and personal skills.
SUSI programme last five weeks and consists of seminars, debates, group presentations and classes. Each programme (institute) will have 22 participants and will include four weeks on a campus of one of the participating universities, and a one week study visit. Classes and activities will be complemented by study visits to places of cultural interest, leadership activities, and volunteer opportunities with local communities. The programme takes place during the months of June and July, 2017.
SUSI have three underlying themes. Each of these programmes is organised by a different university.
A. Civic Engagement
B. Environmental Issues
C. Social Entrepreneurship
Financing: as despesas dos participantes são totalmente suportadas através de uma bolsa do Departamento de Estado, que inclui todas as viagens.
Accommodation and Food: accommodation will be in the halls of residences of the universities, in a shared room. Meals will be held in the university canteens.
Health insurance: all participants are covered by health insurance.
Students in the first or second year of a Bachelors degree, who demonstrate initiative through academic achievement, community involvement, and extracurricular activities.
The area of study of the applicants should be varied and should include sciences, social sciences, education, and management, among others.
An effort will be made to receive applications from students from disadvantaged socio-economic backgrounds, whether they be from rural or urban areas, with no previous US experience. In addition, preference will be given to applications from students from disadvantaged communities, including ethnic minorities, citizens with disabilities, and members of the LGBTI community.
The applicant should:
– Be fluent in English
– Demonstrate an interest in the area of SUSI to which they apply for, regardless of their area of higher education in Portugal
– Be between 18 and 25 years of age
– Have at least one academic year of study for a bachelors degree
– Demonstrate strong initiative in their university or community
– Have real interest in learning more about the USA
– Demonstrate high academic performance through their results obtained at higher and secondary level, as well as through letters of recommendation
– Demonstrate community involvement and initiative in extracurricular activities
– Not have travelled to the USA before
– Be mature, responsible, independent, confident, open-minded, tolerant, analytical, and curious
– Be willing to participate fully in an intensive academic programme, to perform community service, and to participate in educational trips
– Be comfortable with academic life, be prepared to share accommodation, and be willing to accept different cultural and social practices from their home country.
Applications until the 15 of February, 2017
Requests for further information should be sent to:
Reading this information does not substitute the
reading of the complete information available on the scholarship page here.