Eduardo de Sousa Ferreira, retired Full Professor of ISEG -Lisbon School of Economics and Management, Universidade de Lisboa, died today, the 1 st of July, 2019.
Sousa Ferreira studied for his PhD at the University of Heidelberg in Germany, and then returned to Portugal after 25 de April, 1974. At that time, he was contracted as a professor at the then School of Economics (Instituto Superior de Economia), where he founded CEDEP – Centre for Dependency Studies, later renamed The Research Unit in International Economics, which he headed up as the Principal. Sousa Ferreira Sousa Ferreira also served as the Chairman of the Governing Board of ISEG.
Throughout his academic life, Professor Sousa Ferreira has always been very active, involving himself in research and teaching activities in his areas of specialisation. He also published several books, several of which need highlighting:
– Portugal e o Neocolonialismo: Lisboa: Livraria Sá da Costa Editora, 1975.
– Estruturas de Dependência. Lisboa : Iniciativas Editoriais, 1975
– Origens e formas da emigração. Lisboa: Iniciativas Editoriais, 1976.
– O Fim de uma Era, o Colonialismo Português em África. Lisboa: Sá da Costa Editora, 1977.
– Hermes Revelado, Lições de Comércio Internacional (in co-authorship with Helena Patacco and Amadeu Paiva). Lisboa: Mc Graw-Hill, 1997.
Following his studies for a PhD at Heidelberg, Sousa Ferreira always maintained a strong link with German culture. He was behind the cooperation with German universities and was notable for having been involved in the translation of important works by German-speaking economists into Portuguese, the following two of which deserve a special mention, both of which were published by the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation – the first in 2006 and the second in 2012:
– Sistema Nacional da Economia Política, by Friedrich List
– Teoria do Desenvolvimento Económico: a study on business profit, capital, credit, interest, and the business cycle, by Joseph Schumpeter.
After retiring as a retired Full Professor of ISEG, the following book was published:
– Sob o signo de Hórus – Homenagem a Eduardo de Sousa Ferreira. Lisboa: Edições Colibri, 2007.
This book, written by Amadeu Paiva, presents a collection of works written by ISEG professors.
Sousa Ferreira coffin will be lying in the chapel of the Basílica da Estrela tomorrow, the 2 nd of July, from 18:00 onwards. The funeral mass will be held on the next day, the 3 rd of July, at 15:00, followed by a cremation ceremony at the Cemitério do Alto de São João, at 17:30.
The Dean’s Office