Lisbon is one of the most attractive cities in Europe. It boasts a good quality of living, where the past and the future meet, under long hours of brilliant sunlight and a beautiful moon.
Top 10 reasons to study and live in Lisbon
- A cosmopolitan and multicultural city located in a less than a three-hour flight from most European capitals. It’s well-served by public transport. The city center is a fifteen-minute journey from the airport.
- A green city, with lots of gardens and parks, offering great opportunities for outdoor activities and sports.
- Bordered by the Tagus river and close to fantastic beaches, Lisbon is ideal for water sports, such as sailing and surfing, which can be practiced all year long, due to the mild climate and the four to five months of high summer temperatures.
- A historic city. The capital of the former Portuguese Empire, from the 14th to the 19th centuries. It features many impressive monuments and museums that preserve the memory and cultural wealth related to that period.
- A European hub for contemporary art and design, hosting important artistic events throughout the year.
- A safe city.
- Offers a wide range of gastronomic choices, with different types of ethnic cuisines. Portuguese food is typically Mediterranean and is very natural and healthy, with an abundance of fresh fish, vegetables, fruit, rice and olive oil.
- An affordable city, with lower living costs than most European cities, including Madrid, Barcelona, London and Paris.
- Universidade de Lisboa is the biggest university in Portugal and its tuition fees are very competitive when compared with other European universities of a similar quality.
- Universidade de Lisboa attracts a lot of foreign students from Portuguese-speaking countries and other European countries. Networking is an important benefit from studying at ISEG.
Cost of Living
The cost of living in Portugal is lower than in most EU countries.
|Accommodation||600€ / 700€|
|Meals||200€ / 250€|
|Transport||35€ / 40€|
|Leisure||100€ / 120€|
|University (books, etc.)||50€|
|Total||985€ / 1.160 €|
Everyday Items Examples
|1 Coke (33cl)||1,20€|
|Water bottle 50cl||1,00€|
|Full meal in a standard restaurant||15,00€|
|Meal at the school canteen (includes drink, soup, dish and desert)||2,40€|
|Carris bus ticket||2,00€|
|Photocopy (A4 size)||0,05€|